i always loved that book, but i didn't want to live it. but yesterday, i did. yes, that's right. A BIRD WAS IN MY HOUSE!!!!!
it was about 3:45. i was going to answer the door to meet the mother of the two cutie pie girls i babysit. as we were getting their coats on--since they were in a hurry to go see their cousin's volleyball game (sorry kylie, if they missed any of your game)--i heard a rustling noise in the kitchen. "what is that noise?" i asked. it didn't sound like the squirrel who frequently dangles from my gutter scratching at the kitchen window. no. this was louder. almost like wings fluttering...almost like wings fluttering against my kitchen window. almost like wings fluttering against the INSIDE OF MY KITCHEN WINDOW!!
karen and i sprang into action. "where's connor?" she asked.
"he's still asleep in his room," i answered. "get the girls out of here!"
so we threw the girls out on the front porch and grabbed their coats. karen got them in the car away from the flapping beast. i tell ya he had a beak like a sword!
he was in the big window of my kitchen at first, which gave us little option. i opened the front door just in case. i grabbed a paint extension wand that nathan had been using to paint my uncle's house and the lid to my laundry hamper. not sure what i was thinking with that, but you just don't think straight in these situations.
just then the flying beast went to the corner sink windows. that gave me the chance to open the big window where he had been before. i ran around and opened the back door to give him another option. karen was throwing ideas out left and right, and we were trying anything. it seemed like he got stuck behind my curtains, so she said to try and move the curtains so he would come out. well this little fella was stubborn and scared. i was ticked too, because all i could think of was the bird poop i was gonna have to clean off the dishes i had just washed!
then we thought of luring him out with some bread. thankfully my fridge opens toward where we were standing. so i got a piece out and started throwing pieces toward him, and then some leading toward the big window. he was too freaked to bite.
i went around to the back door to make sure it was still open (which of course, it wasn't! ugh!) then i got up on the bench that sits below my window. i thought maybe i could scare him by banging on the window. as i was up on the bench--with my neighbor looking on in disbelief--all of a sudden, he flew out the back door.
whew!
the only thing we could think of was that he got in the other night. nathan was painting in the basement and i had opened the back door to let out the fumes. i guess he was just laying low until he couldn't take it anymore. and then he decided to make a break for it.
well, needless to say my kitchen is now completely spotless and totally disinfected! and the only things that were compromised were my decorative lemons. seems sword beaked birds don't like them at all.


12 comments:
I know I probably shouldn't laugh, but I did. Poor thing (Christina & the bird). Great pics!
Sorry about your mishap. I don't think this is the first bird-on-the-loose mishap you've been involved in. Do you remember when I was house-sitting for the Noonans and their bird got loose while you were with me over there? As I recall, we were under the table, calling your mom or something. We weren't as brave back then because we had not yet been injected with Super-Mom-Can-Do-Anything serum yet.
Anyways, good job getting the bird out!
ok, between you and Alicia - i can't handle the funny posts anymore! off to the bathroom again for me!!
Sheesh! You think you all would remember what it was like to pee on command! LOL
I must tell you that I am glad it wasn't me...i would have had the baby there and then!
HILARIOUS! Tell nate to close the door! Who knows what else will rear it's ugly head! :)
oh my goodness, katie, i remember that now! we were so freaked out. ha! it seems to me that birds are drawn to me in this way. when i was little we had a parrot named 'moses' and he was always getting loose and leaving treats on my dollhouse! and when we lived on cicotte birds used to sit on our chimney to get warm in the winter, and then they would pass out from the fumes. well they would drop to the bottom of the chimney and come to, then they would get out through a small hole in the brick. we found sparrows a couple of times as i recall.
sorry, shyla. i remember all too well the days of peeing on comand. i have a bladder the size of a hummingbird to begin with, and connor was not helping things at all!
well, at least i got to share my funny..:-)
Mitchell, Austin and I got a good dose of laughter from your comical situation. Have you thought about writing any books. You are very good at articulating. Love, Aunt Tina
hey aunt tina! i think you are the official first extended family to leave a comment. congratulations. it's about the equivalent of finding the toothpick in gramma's cakes. glad you enjoyed my experience. i've never thought about writing. maybe i should...that's how i could make my millions. :-)
and girls, i was just talking to my mom last night. and she reminded me of ANOTHER bird situation. i was babysitting one summer and had to call my mom b/c the pet bird was flying through the house. katie, i don't know if you remember the fite's at all. but just imagine an elementary aged brad fite running around the house frantically trying to "help" catch the bird. what is it with me and birds??
crazy.
easy, cheetah! let's at least try and get this one out of diapers before we start expanding our brood. :-)
you know what's funny, i was thinking of "the birds" too. great minds think alike! though i've never seen it, i've seen enough clips of those winged beasts to stay away. :)
I loved this post!!! It was so funny. I could just picture you trying to get that thing out of there.
BTW - this was the first time I got to see your Kitchen! I love it. You guys did such a great job!
Suzanne
hey, suzanne!
thanks. great to hear from you. hope you guys are doing well.
nathan is "mr. home improvement" right now. he's going to start some crown molding in our living room next.
Christina - Of course I remember the Fite's. I'm a little more familiar with "Cowboy Bob" than his son though. (Do you remember that? Aughh, I was such an idiot.)
I congratulate you for how much of your family comments on your site. I haven't been able to coax my computer-illiterate clan into trying it out.
Hey, I'm coming to Detroit tomorrow and will be there for about a week. Maybe you, Nicole and I could get together for a playdate or something. Do you babysit every day?
Later - katie
i'm so glad i ran into you at cvs tonight. i don't think i've ever laughed so hard while reading a blog. you are so hilarious! connor is just adorable!
Post a Comment