i mentioned before that uncle paul gave us some of his extra caribou...remember the rudolph lasagna? complete with coupons. yeah, so maybe rudolph has decided to have his fun with us b/c this dinner fiasco involved the little dear.... or deer haha! i have never really cooked much caribou so when we got the meat i looked up bunches of recipes. i got one for a roast that sounded like it would be pretty good. it involved an overnight marinade and a fairly simple roast recipe after that. i got everything started last night, and i was actually pretty excited to try this recipe. it was listed on a number of sites and came highly recommended.
nathan had a seminar which meant he'd be hustling out to the location around dinner time and back around 8pm. he came home, grabbed a quick snack and headed out the door. just a few minutes after he left i opened up the oven only to catch a whiff of the most vile smell in the history of my short roasting experiences. that can't be good. i peeled the tin foil back and thought, "ok, maybe it just smells funny." i cut off a chunk and took a bite.....gag! hurl! spew!!! alright, christina.... get tough or get out! try again. BLECH!!! oh, my word i thought i'd throw up!! "connor, do you want to go to the chicken store and get dinner with mommy??" thank goodness for chicken shack's cheap chicken dinners! i already had the side dishes taken care of so it really was cheap, and i was not about to make nathan eat that. ok, i was NOT about to eat it! don't worry i didn't blow the budget. my mom had me drop off her payment when i went to the doctor; it was only $10 but she gave me a $20, so i kept the change as a stupid tax for her forgetting to send it in.... hey, stupid tax is a legitimate way for kids to make money off their parents. ask nicole how she paid for her gas money when she was going to monroe community college. my dad's quarter jar was always mysteriously empty. she simply stated, "hey, you leave the lid off and you pay the stupid tax."
what's the moral of this story? well, i know for the next 6 months i won't be trying any more caribou recipes. i'm sure my mom will never entrust me with money again. and basically, it boils down to: rudolph-2 christina-0 uncle paul-1,000,000 (he did kill rudolph so i guess that wins him the most points.)
i was downloading some pics of junk to sell on ebay and found some cuties of the kids from last week some time. enjoy their weirdo faces! and some cute ones too. :)
making a huge mess... it's what these two do best! :)
"oh, wait, mom! i wasn't ready! take another one...."
what? you're taking our picture?? but mickey mouse is on tv!
ava! will you just look so she'll stop flashing my eyes! sheesh!
20 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! So happy for you!
Funny you should mention meal planning. I just started doing that too and it makes my life so much easier! I know exactly what I have to buy and exactly what I am going to make for the next two weeks. I love being organized. So what's on your menu? I like to get new ideas.
Congratulations... I had a feeling and I thought we might be hearing something soon. I am very excited for you. Keep us updated on baby news... :-)
i've been waiting for you to join the crew of double diaper buyers!!!!!!!!!!!! Hooorrrraaayy!!! Congrats!
heather
CONGRATS!!! You are such a good planner and so much more brave than I would be. I don't think I could ever try caribu and I know that I don't do deer very well!! you go girl!
Congrats!!! May is a great month for babies! Let's see...the 3rd, 17th and 26th are all wonderful days!
thanks everyone!
kelly-
nathan is a pretty simple eater. i usually just do a week and a half and then repeat some favorites.
lunches are pretty simple:
blt's, hot dogs, sloppy joes, pbj's, soup and grilled cheese, butter noodles (nathan LOVES), and frozen buritos.
dinners are easy too b/c side dishes rarely vary. some sort of potato and corn or green beans. yeah, that's all he'll eat. i'm lucky, and at the same time i'm cursed. :) i do burgers/fries, goulash, tacos, pork, chicken, spaghetti, mostacolli (no clue how to spell that). i vary the chicken and pork between a few favorite ways. that's about it. nothing fancy. makes life easy though for sure!
Wow congratulations - but I can't believe you just sneak it into a story like that - such exciting information! Smell is always one of the first clues to being pregnant - so maybe that made it even worse for you.
Okay, Martha Menu Mama, here's a link to Rachel Ray's menu planner - it's pretty cool - she even includes the shopping list - - - oh, and did you know that Spark People does the same thing? It plans the healthful menu for you, and then gives you the shopping list. :)
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/menus/menu-planner/menu-planner---november-2007/article.html
Enjoy!
Yay! Congratulations. Let the fun begin. :)
bls-
thanks for the linkage. i've never seen the rr menu planner before so i'm pumped to check it out. i did try the spark people planner when nathan was traveling.... way back when. now i only do spark recipes when nathan will be gone for dinner. instead of cooking two dinners. :) remember how you said everything at icbc gets abbreviated? yeah, would you say alliteration is contagious too? haha! :)
I had heard you were expecting, but wanted to hear it from "the horses mouth" before any congrats came out of this mouth!! Heard too many horror stories about congrats gone sour to be that dumb!! I hear you on the double diapers dilema (what were you saying about alliteration?)--sooooo wish Alex were older and ready to potty train before Feb!!! Soooo not happening...we should all buy stock in the diaper companies, we're all keeping them in business anyhow!! Congrats girl!
Ha ha ha - I think I actually alliterate more than I abbreviate! Hee hee - I couldn't figure why everyone was saying congratulations about carribou (no alliteration intended!), then I realized you "went public!" :)
jessica-
i hear ya there! i sometimes even chicken out when it's fairly obvious and the news has been out for a while. (once it was about a month before the gal's due date before i had the guts to say anything!) there are way too many stories out there though, that's for sure. :) you'd be my super hero if you trained alex before feb.... i'd be calling for tips that's for sure. ;) and yes, you are a total dbts seminary wife!! haha! very good alliteration.
bls-
too funny! yeah, when you're on the inside track all that old news just flies right by, huh? :) haha! the rr site wasn't working for me when i tried earlier, but i'm surfing for recipes tomorrow ...not going to vball :(.. so i'll try again then. yeah, i really debated on "going public" on my blog. i know it's dumb, but i have a weird aversion to the word "pregnant"... heebie jeebies, ya know? when i was little i couldn't stand to be in the same room with any of my preggo aunts. seriously! i hated it when then came over and would always ask my mom how long they had to be there! it was horrible, i know. i was convinced they would just pop right there in our living room. my sister has the same aversion to the words "blouse" and "slacks". just to creep her out my dad and i will sometimes just randomly say them in a low voice.
ok, that was a super long comment reply which i thought maybe i should just send in an email, but i decided that i'm posting it b/c the screen's giving me a headache and i don't feel like copy/pasting to email. thanks for understanding. :) haha!
CONGRATULATIONS! You sneaky little rascal burying that vital information inside such a long monster post. Are you all going to find out the gender? How'd the first trimester go for you?
Bummer about the caribou dinner. Yum, fried chicken . . . I haven't had that for ages! I agree with you on lunch planning. I need to be better about that too. I usually just have healthy snacky stuff around to throw something together for me and Chloe.
alicia-
things have settled down. i got sick a few more times than i'd prefer. :) i never got sick with connor so this was all new. it didn't last too long though, so for that i'm thankful. now i'm just tired.... that's just a mom way of life though, isn't it? :) i'd like to know if it's possible. we found out with connor and i liked knowing.
Congrats! How great! Is Connor excited about a sibling?
Is Nathan home for all lunches? Whew! I always forget to plan Saturday lunches and when Michael's home he really likes to eat something hot - esp. in winter! Maybe it has something to do with working outside in subzero temps or something. Good work with the menu plan!
yea!!! so excited for you! i'm sure your mom will be more than happy to keep me posted on all the preggo updates, including if she'll be adding another granddaughter or grandson to the family tree! :) tell connor hey from stelly!
jenny-
thanks! connor doesn't have a clue. :) we talk about it, but i think he's in denial. haha! nathan's office is barely a mile away so he's able to come home everyday for lunch. we love it.
erica-
thanks... oh, yeah, my mom will be more than willing to share. :) connor sure misses stelly... he loves the ladies. :) haha!
FYI, Papa created stupid tax. Gramma would go to the store and they would forget to charge her for something and she would get all flustered when they gave her trouble trying to pay for the item. papa would say, hit the road betty that's their stupid tax.
I'm so late on this, but yay for double diapering!! Congrats & that's so your style to hide it in a story!! Glad to hear your feeling better. Doubt the tired thing will ever go away. :)
Post a Comment