this morning while brushing my teeth i thought of two random things that i couldn't think of yesterday.....i could not believe what an extraordinary amount of pressure 8 random facts could put on my life.
1. when i was about 10 or 12....not quite sure....i was so utterly freaked out at the thought of a doctor putting a tongue depressor in my mouth (i'm a gagger) i sat in front of the mirror for hours practicing opening my mouth wide enough and "self-depressing" my tongue enough for any competent doc to be able to see deep down into my throat. when i went for my check up later that week i was thoroughly proud of my efforts and promptly told the doctor he wouldn't be needing one of "those things" and he could just put it right back where he got it. i then proceeded to open my mouth and say ahhhhhh. he was quite impressed (probably more at the obsession causing me to attempt this ability), and he gave me the unused tongue depressor as a prize. i had beaten the system. i was ecstatic.
2. after reading one of my ramona quimbey books (also about 10 years old) i had the strongest desire to squeeze an entire tube of toothpaste into the bathroom sink. i would sit in the bathroom for hours debating the pros and cons. pro: it would be SO cool! con: my mom would kill me! hmm....what to do? i ended up squeezing out about two tablespoons and, knowing my mom would hear the paste hitting the basin, i immediately scooped it out of the sink with some toilet paper. i then turned to the idea of baby powder in the toilet. try it some time. it's fascinating when it breaks the surface tension. my mom is SO gonna kill me!
boy, i spent a lot of time in the bathroom. and i didn't even tell you about all the time i spent singing into the mirror. boy, what a weirdo!
5 comments:
let's go...up town baby.
That tongue depressor story is hilarious! It's silly to think back to those pre-teen (and teen) days and remember what was so fascinating to us at the time. My tongue depressor nemesis was swallowing pills. I could NOT do it until my pregnancy with Chloe when I was forced to take prenatal vitamins. Now I'm a pro! It felt SO GOOD to conquer that.
nic-
we are so pathetically weird!!!! hahahaha!!!
alicia-
swallowing pills was a huge deal for me too! :) i remember in 5th grade i had mono and my doc gave me a Rx in pill form....i was horrified! i tried and tried to swallow it and it started to disolve on my tongue. i was crying and crying and my mom was yelling at me that i was going to get worse and die if i didn't learn to swallow pills! HAHAHAHA she and i are a little over-dramatic. :~) it was pretty funny..though not at the time. :)
I love your Ramona Quimby story - I loved her and I recall reading the story about the toothpaste. I too had a major desire to squeeze out the whole tube, but I was too scared of my mom to dare try. Sometimes when I am putting toothpaste on my toothbrush I still think of that story.
kelly-
too funny! those were the best books, weren't they?
Post a Comment