Thursday, August 10, 2006

say what???

ok, i was talking with nathan the other day....actually, this is an ongoing conversation.....about how i say things funny. now some things are totally michigan things and anyone who lives here will know just what i mean. some things are family things. genetically coded into my being. i cannot avoid such things. and some things are just me being lazy with my words...which i'm sure some people find detestable, and others......quite endearing. :)

so here's my list of things i say funny. i would love it if any of you reading this would help me out by proving i am not the only one that says things wrong. add a comment with your list of goofy pronunciations.

"michigan things"
  • things like kroger/meijer/ford all get an "s" added to the end. so it becomes krogers/meijers/fords. for example, "my dad works over at fords. and i shop at meijers."
  • dawn sounds more like don. and don sounds more like daaaaaaan. know what i mean?
"me things"
  • pillow sounds more like "pellow"
  • milk is "melk"
  • straw becomes "strawl" (that one stuck from childhood i'm pretty sure)
"family things"
  • breakfast is "brefix"
  • spaghetti is "spaget"

14 comments:

mittin92 said...

What are you telling me that Krogers, Meijers and Fords do not end with "s". Check you dictionary.

UM

christina said...

i realize that this is something that shakes the very foundation of our state's speech pattern, but this is just something we have to come to grips with.

suzanne said...

I get made fun of ALL THE TIME by out of state friends for my "Michigan" accent. Whatever, Michiganders do not have accents, the rest of the world does!

But I have to say, I do cringe when people say, Melk, Pellow and Aeggs (Ryan says all three).

But i do add an 's' to all those words you mentioned, but I'm not sure if it's a Michigan thing, I'm pretty sure it's a "downriver" thing!

I think we all have our "family sayings." One of the Mack family things is instead of saying choking we say squalling. I am not even sure how to spell that, seeing it is not even a real word.

Thanks for the laugh!

A Weaver's Touch said...

I am clearly a Michigan transplant - as I about have an explosion of ulcers when people say "Krogers" and "Meijers" - - I have FINALLY come to the point of not NEEDING to correct them every time. [I almost corrected you in my comment on the previous post about grocery stores, but took the high road! Perfection is a curse I have come to live with, and I am pleased to developing a heightened tolerance for all things Michigan! [However, will you PLEASE tell your uncle that the word is ES-CAPE, not EX-CAPE?? I cringe every time I look ahead and see it coming in the verse!!!!! I tried once, but I clearly made NO impact!]

mittin92 said...

After reading these comments I ran out to tell Uncle Mitchell that I am not the only one that cringes when he says EX-CAPE instead of ES-CAPE. I was beginning to think it was just ME!

Aunt Tina

A Weaver's Touch said...

Thank you, Tina!!!! What a relief to know it's not just ME, either!!!!!

nic said...

Oh man!!! Where do i start? Yes, i had the "s" to meijer all of the time and sometimes to kroger. Me things...hmmm....the best one is my issue with two colors. when i see orange my mouth says green, when i see green my mouth says orange. always got a good laugh from my students. i would have to say as an ohio transplant, i was always told i had an ohio accent-whatever that is, and the "melk" has always bugged me. one more thing, i can vouch for my husbands statement about correctly pronouncing words. i can't think of too many words that he mispronounces. he's a stickler for correct speech (he's always correcting me).

The SC Elwarts said...

Man. I miss hearing Michigan people talk! The "s" is a natural & correct ending to any store name. The carbonated, fizzy liquid is POP not soda or coke. It's so annoying to ask what kind of pop a restaurant has and get a puzzled look from the waitress. Also, it's a purse folks, not a pocket-book. A pocket book is the thing that I throw in Ryan's diaper bag to keep Lauren occupied at the dr's office. Exmples of this include, Hop on Pop, Mr. Brown can Moo, Dr. Seuss's ABC, etc. Fixin' is what you do to a meal to get it ready to eat, not telling people what you are getting ready to do. My list could go on and on, but thank you Christina, for giving my ears a taste of home.

Lifetime Dieter said...

How come we don't say Targets?

My Middle Age Moments said...

I say that the grocery stores all have S on them....i never knew differently. BUT>>>I grew up in a FORD family and we don't add an S to that... we must get that straight...FORDS sounds like Taylor-tucky talkin.

I have a tendency towards talkin lek er hick...just fer funs. (s added for you)

Tonight we had a language lesson here and this particular language is tonal. So we were all laughing at each other trying to learn the tones. Up/down/updown/and flat. I did find out that if I tell the taxi driver to take a right hand turn I tell him "YO". Coming from DEEETROIT that means "what up?" doesn't it?

PS...I like the word CUZ when I am typing...sorry brenda :(

christina said...

i've got to EX-CAPE from all this maddness! :) you guys crack me up. now i'll be laughing every time i hear that. maybe it's a good thing that i'll be with 3-yr-old sunday school more often. :) i won't be a distraction.

nic-
i would drive your hubby crazy! i bet i say half of my words incorrectly. too funny.

sus-
you tell 'em. straighten out those southerners will ya?

jewels-
b/c we say tar-jay! :)

ces-
well, that settles it. i say fords b/c we lived in taylor-tucky. i've got to be true to my roots. :)
so turning right should never be a problem then since you all have done time in the motor city.

Katie said...

Well, my in-laws just went up a notch (that word makes my skin crawl, but I can't think of another just now) in the realm of sanity. They add "s" to EVERYTHING, and it still bugs me. Living with Chris' grandma also gives me some wierd vocabulary choices - ie: sweeper (vacuum), outfit (couch set), sugar (diabetes), Cheap Lots (Big Lots), etc.

Kelley said...

"Sugar" I just heard that one last year. One of my kids was having some medical tests done and him mom said they were testing him for "sugar". I couldn't figure out what that was and finally found out it was diabetes.

Katie Barker said...

I don't know if anyone is still reading these comments. But Nicole, I have the EXACT same problem with Green and Orange. I can see the colors and I know what the difference is but I almost always start to say the wrong one. That's crazy that happens to you too.