have you heard that commercial? well, let me just say that i will forever end it "or not" b/c of last night. i've never been a huge fan of kroger. the produce is never as good as meijers, the floor is always stickier than meijers, and the prices are not always as good as meijers...especially if you forgot your "we're watching what you buy card".
when i was old enough to drive, my mom would occasionally send me to grocery shop. i loved it b/c i could get anything i wanted. she always sent me to the woodhaven meijers. for a few reasons, 1) i don't remember if krogers was on the corner of dix/southfield then but if it was we weren't fans, and 2) the taylor meijers didn't always host the best consumers. kinda creepy if you asked me.
so i grew to love that woodhaven meijers.
after i got married though, i didn't want to drive all the way out there b/c it was quite a trek for groceries (at least 20 freeway minutes), and the gas money was coming out of my pocket. my aunt claudia turned me on the the krogers on eureka. good produce, closer than woodhaven, nice setup, no stick to the floor, and double coupons up to $1.00!! so i went there until they took their coupons down to $0.50. then i figured i would just go back to woodhaven meijers, but i would always plan to go when i went out to my parents. two birds, one stone. i know, i'm genius.
and then, it happened. they built a meijers just a few miles from my house. i was a little concerned at first, b/c previously this location was a shady super k. a shopper i know (who shall remain nameless for his/her own sake, and for my own safety) used to say that every pervert known to mankind shopped there.
it has to be close to a year for this new meijers and so far so good. it has surpassed my expectations.
so getting back to last night.....
i had to go grocery shopping and i was already exhausted from our very busy day. i figured i would just go to the close gross krogers and get the few things i needed, take back the pop cans, and call it a night. i walked into the cesspool, my feet peeling off the floor with every step, and i found it was completely packed. lines were backed up to the aisles. i knew this was trouble. i made my way to the pop can return and saw that every station was busy. i walked around the corner to hop in line, and i found the line stacked to the lunchmeat cooler. every shopper in that line had a cart (or two) full of garbage bags stuffed with cans and bottles. i said (outloud if i'm not mistaken), "no thank you, sir!" and i marched my cart right back out to the car. i was not about to cram my way through that store just to end my day on a sour note.
so i got back in the car and i called nathan. "babe, i've got a favor to ask. i'm either going to meijers or to the good krogers. can you look up the meijers sale page online and tell me what's on sale?" so nathan gave me the scoop, and i said, "ok, i'm headed to meijers. there's no way i'm ever going back to that krogers."
i pulled into the meijers parking lot and even though it was full-ish it just felt so much nicer. i walked into the store greeted by a kindly old woman who offered me a sale paper. i took it to double check a few of the fine print details from nathan's excellent report. i circled my add-ons and headed through the spacious aisles. i saw a few peeps from church, and helped a man find just the right steak seasoning.
as i rounded the corner to buy plastic silverware for connor's party, i spotted them. the one allusive item that i hadn't been able to find. sword shaped tooth picks. i have called bunches of places and gone all around town looking for these little devils. eureka!! i was pumped. then on top of that silverware was on sale for a dollar! i got way more than i would've gotten at party city for about a third of the price. what a treat.
and even though the trip through the checkout took a bit longer than expected, i still stood there patiently appreciating meijers all the while.
then i came home to a cleaned up kitchen, cleaned up office, one fed baby, and a date night with my hubby watching the stars. it was perfect. even nathan said, "it feels like we're dating again.....except we don't have to say goodbye, just goodnight." we sat outside until about 10:15 just talking. watching the stars, and the planes overhead. we drew up plans for our "dream house". stunning. it will be stunning. we talked about vacations we want to take when connor is old enough to enjoy them. we just chatted like old friends. the best of friends.
i am blessed. even in the little things.
10 comments:
Cool ending - - - I "gotta get me one of those!" Ha ha! Seriously, sounds like a nice night!
Here's the reason, taken from your post, that I either shope at Meijer Woodhaven (my fave, too!) or else shop at 7 a.m. on Saturday mornings: "i saw a few peeps from church" - - - more than once I've been stocking up on "various supplies" only to have both men and women from church walk up, jokingly look over my cart for what I was cooking for dinner and then walk away even more embarrassed than I was at the moment! LOL
I'm a Meijer Woodhaven girl for that reason - - - every other Saturday - 7 a.m.! Occasionally I'll go to the new one - I'm just more familiar with the WM, so I like it better! However, when gas hit $3.00, I returned to (shhhh) Kroger. Actually, the fruit is really good when you get there early - and the floors get cleaned in the night - so it's not all that bad! :)
go woodhaven! it took me a while to get familiar with my new meijers, but now i get turned around when i make my way out to the woodhaven....go fig!
i'm a stock piler too.....but only in meat, cheese, butter...anything i can freeze from sams, or all my household cleaning and paper supplies.
i love to go (for special occasions only) to dearborn farm market over on outer/monroe. fabulous fruit.
I love the Woodhaven Meijers too. My mom and I went to Block's (Eureka and Middlebelt) today. Great deals on fresh michigan grown fruits and veggies. I got four bags of stuff for $12.
We sound like two old ladies talking about where we buy our groceries - - -but I know, I LOVE the Dearborn Farm Market - I went there by mistake (long story) my first year here, and go back for special "treats" when I can - the best strawberries and peaches in ALL of North America! (Okay, well, at least in southeast MI!!!)
julie-
YEAH! i've been waiting for blocks to get their veggies! i've got to get over there while the gettin's good.
brenda-
HA! so true! i knew i was "growing up" when i was actually flustered by the price of gas. oh, and i forgot to say before...i am with you on the early bird shopping. i get connor up and going and we hit meijers when it's still blue dome city. no lines, and everyone smiles and wants to pat his head.
Hey...oh how I miss meijers right now. Check out todays entry on the blog..it is my newest grocery store story. You will understand!
Christina, I don't actually "know" you although I remember seeing you around at NBBC (I think I graduated when you were a freshman, maybe!) . . . Anyway, I found your blog through Katie Bruno's and I pop in every so often, and I just wanted to say that your posts always make me smile and/or laugh out loud!!! :) Your blog is just really fun to read. I especially liked the end of this post about your evening with your hubby. It inspired me to plan a "sit out and look at the stars" date with my own after our kiddos are in bed, one of these nights.
Also, isn't it fun to plan your dream house? We are in the process of building our home (living in it now, but it's far from finished) . . . and it is so great to be able to make things just how you want them!
I'm with you on Meijers. I shop at Krogers only when they have their cheese for $1, or a big sale on soda. Otherwise, I agree--it's too... white trashy?? :)
carrie--
thanks for saying "hi". i checked you picture and it was one of those she-looks-so-familiar moments. so i tried to find my freshman yearbook to get a pic of you "in context" and wouldn't ya know it, that's the book that is m.i.a. i'm sure i would go "oh yeah!" as soon as i saw your yearbook pic, b/c your cutie pie family pic looks so stinkin' familiar. and i was such a space ball my freshman year. i was just trying to survive. :) well, thanks for stopping and i will definitely be stoping by your blog sometime.
karen-
that is so funny that you said that....nathan says the same thing. i think it must be a michigan thing...actually maybe just the area. b/c the far away krogers is actually very nice, and i would go there if meijers weren't so close. my sister's kroger down in louisville was fabulous. i loved going down there when she had to grocery shop. :)
You crack me up! I tend to shop at a nicer store even if it's pricer just to be treated nice and to make a chore more like an experience. Wish I could get some of those blueberries and peaches over there. I wanted to pick some (blueberries) last month, but ran out of time. We're heading out to MI again the weekend after labor day (Grandpa turns 90:). Great ending to your day - good hubby points for Nathan!
Post a Comment