Monday, March 14, 2011

why i eat bread

before you get out your picket signs and start marching in front of my house…. take this with all the love and sarcasm with which it is written.

i know there are people out there with legitimate medical reasons for choosing restricted diets. or rather, for the diets choosing them. my first interaction with celiac disease was when i was teaching first grade. i had a sweet boy whose doctor had just recently diagnosed him with this new-to-me medical hurdle. i had never heard anything about it. his mom did the best job EVER of making sure he had a full stock of treats in my cupboard and in the school freezer. whenever another student brought birthday treats he would be able to enjoy one of his. of course, now--five plus years later--it is all around me. there's not an aisle in meijers without a product boasting "gluten free" on it's packaging. i only say that to be sure everyone understands that i DO understand medical issues. i'm not trying to mock or belittle them AT ALL.

and now that i say that i half heartedly write the remainder of this post….. oh, well… here goes…. oh, come on. you know i love ya!

what i'm talking about is weird diets. odd ball stuff. to me, pretty much any diet is weird. all meat, no bread, grapefruit only, organic vegan holistic mamma jamma……blah da dee blah blah blah….. you know what? I LIKE BREAD. i love it, in fact. i make my own. i bake all different types. i braid it. i roll it. i toast it. i broil it with cheese and garlic. mmmmm…. i'm getting hungry just thinking of all the ways i like bread. know what else i like? pretzels. pretty much still bread. olga bread, challah, sourdough….YUM! every stinkin' kind of bread…. except pumpernickel and rye. those just creep me out.

i've never had a medical reason to stay away from bread. or really anything. well, my doctor told me diet coke was giving me heartburn, but i like the coke more than the heartburn hurts. so, it's all good! there is a twinge of hesitation in my heart of hearts…. diabetes runs deep on both sides of my family. my mom cut way back on bread and floury products b/c of those tendencies in her bloodline, much to her benefit. she has told me she feels fabulous and she runs like a gazelle… even signed up to be in a triathlon! woohoo! go, mom!

i guess since i now consider myself a runner…. yes, even though i was dormant through winter i am VERY much looking forward to getting back out there this month!…. i feel like i can say that i'd rather eat what i want and be happy, than eat a restricted diet and be miserable. if i was a couch slug and i said that i would not say it with as much confidence. it might be said with "stick-it-to-the-man-ishness". you know… more of an "in your face i can do what i want". but i feel like i try to be healthy without being freakish. sure i could be more healthy. more veggies. better whole grains. some of that organic stuff. truly, i think my budget has determined more of that than anything.

but when it's all said and done, i'd rather live a little more plump-ish with a happy outlook when i hit the table. better than being pencil thin and miserable at dinner. so, girls: EAT! for the love.... EAT and be HEALTHY! that means you have to get off your rear and move. you know what i love? girls that have a little meat on their bones who rave about their new exercise routine that makes them feel FABULOUS. they are movin', they are groovin' and they are staying healthy. i love when people get excited about a new healthy food system. not one that they despise or that makes them miserable. one that they have chosen to help them make healthy choices. that's the good stuff.

i was watching the today show...well, today... and heard a rule i thought was great. the rule of one. the suggestion was given to a girl asking about the upcoming shower/bachelorette party/wedding season. the nutritional guru giving the advice said to basically stick to the rule of one. one of each appetizer, one plate of food, one dessert.... of course, if it's all appetizers... yowza! :) but you get it. moderation. i love that. don't deprive yourself. EAT BREAD!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

as someone who CAN'T, I say a hearty AMEN! Enjoy!

And, someday, when I get over this wheat intolerance, I will join you in the bagel-pizza-pretzel eating with gusto.

christina said...

jenny--i have a few gal pals from church that are in your shoes. one of them has a great gluten free recipe exchange blog. you might enjoy it!

http://www.mypollylops.com/

Unknown said...

I recently did the atkins diet for 2 weeks and it was torture! I mean, I LOVE meat and cheese but it was murder not to eat bread. It didn't stick and now I'm back to square 1 and trying to exercise more. I love seeing those calories burned rack up on the elliptical!

suzanne said...

Mmmmm. I love bread, too. I could butter up a loaf and eat the whole thing right now. I had to give up caffeine b/c of Chase. I think if I had to give up bread, the boy would be drinkin' formula!

Kelly Glupker said...

I love this. Thank you for making me feel human again. A close friend of mine started this crazy/strict diet two years ago. She works out constantly and doesn't eat fun food. She looks AWESOME but I'm so tired of hearing about how bad food is. I just want to live a little. :) And honestly, it's really annoying to talk about food and exercise all the time. (in my humble opinion).