Thursday, March 04, 2010

who's got my back?

alright, girls.... i want to know who would do the same thing i did.... or who wouldn't....

i've been wanting to get my haircut for a while now. i had a 20% off deal b/c i sent the stylist a referral... it was my mom. i'm sure she went there for the sole fact that i might get the discount later. she knows that i RARELY go to salons for a cut. it's just not in the budget. but i scrounge my pennies for a couple trips a year. i've been sitting on the cash for a trip out there for a few weeks. timing just wasn't working out. well, yesterday, nathan's boss picked him up for a sales lunch and i decided to see if this would be my lucky day. i called gramma.... she had the morning available to watch the kids. i called the salon... the girl i had seen last time was available with JUST enough time for me to get the kids before gramma had to leave. perfect! i thought.

i got the kids lunch, dropped them at gramma's, headed to the salon and made it with 10 minutes to spare. i love getting my hair cut. it's so relaxing. the stylist (typically) seems genuinely interested in all the trite stories of my life. just the shampoo alone is a delight. it caters to ever sinful me-centered desire in me... bad, right? well, maybe if you really believe you deserve it all the time. but i say.... a little away every once in a while makes you come back a refreshed and better mommy. and if you don't agree with me .... shut it.... but if you do, you know what i mean. :)

so there i was. chatting it up. the girl asked me a question and i started to answer her with a story. so here i am... blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda.... *girl quickly asks, "long layers?" i quickly answer, "yeah." STUPID STUPID STUPID. and i keep going with my story. OI!

after it was done i realized what had happened. she did a great job. it was totally my fault. since i was under a slight time crunch i decided it looked fine and i would just deal. i wasn't devastated... and believe me i'm telling the truth. i've been to "devastation-ville" and it is ugly. i hope i've grown up enough never to go there again. i was sure i could live with it, even though it wasn't what i really loved. so i went and picked up the kids to let gramma get to her next task. i was going to hit target, but meg fell asleep on the way home, so we decided to go home for naps first. while the kids were still sleeping, gramma called and said she could watch them for the rest of naptime if i wanted to head over to target.... DONE! by the time i got done nathan had made it home. i was telling him my story and just saying... no big deal. i'll live with it. it was, after all, my own fault. so he says, "why not go back and have her fix it?" honestly, two or three years ago, i would never have considered it. but i thought, i just plopped down a nice chunk of change to have this done and i won't be back for a number of months. if this has to last a while, i want to enjoy it, right? so i called the salon and explained. the girl said, "come right now. no problem."

i was totally prepared to pay for the fix. i even went in trying to joke about it. i told them i was hair dyslexic. the girl that cut my hair was very nice about it. she wasn't super rude or demeaning. the lady next to her needed a lesson in business ethics, but that's not the issue. she snipped up the ends and evened everything out. i think she was a little worried that i wouldn't like it shorter, but really it's not that much shorter than before. needless to say, i love it. and i am thrilled that i took nathan's advice to go back. and she didn't even charge me... makes sense though. they want return visits, right? i wish i knew the nasty lady's name... i might have written a "what NOT to say to an unhappy customer" letter. but i think i'll write a "thanks for helping a hair dyslexic" letter instead.

so, who's got my back? what would you have done?


i'm a simple girl with simple tastes and simple cuts.... and i had WAY too much fun with photo booth. i took a number of silly pictures of myself and my kids weren't even awake... i need more adult interaction. :)

17 comments:

Mike and Nicole said...

I would have gone back. I think I am never one for wheeling and dealing and I would rather give up a little something than take advantage of them....however....they are selling you air. You aren't walking away with anything. You go to them so you walk away with a better cut than before. If you don't do that....they haven't sold you anything. I get that you didn't say anything right then but it was the same day....your hair didn't grow 3 feet and then you want it cut for free. Now....had she given you a hard time...I would have left it alone and just written it off as a lesson learned...but if she was a normal girl and willing to fix it...do it. but I think you know me...I would have never left the first time. =)

Unknown said...

The new do looks great! Personally, I would have been too chicken to go back and get it fixed. So glad you were brave enough to though!

And let me say publicly how jealous I am that your mom is so nearby to watch your kiddos at such last minute notice! Wow.

christina said...

yeah, nic... i wish i had your gumption.

alicia... i'll do you one better... it was my gramma, their great-gramma. :) i'm constantly reminded of how blessed i am to have a huge.. albeit crazy... family nearby. grammas, aunts, and even cousins that would babysit anytime they are able to help. even in the midst of the night in an emergency. i pray i never take it for granted.

My Middle Age Moments said...

I got your back on this one! I have done this twice and both times the hairstylist said that they were happy I did. It also helps them learn your style and do a better job next time.

Really cute hair too by the way so whatever she did it was good. I would go back to her for sure too just to show her that she handled it well. FWIW of course :)

Shyla said...

i got your back girl! I have gone back!! TWICE! I hate going back, i too try to joke, but don't regret going back. A flaming man stylist did my hair this past time and when i told him what i wanted he was like "no. you need this. i was too chicken to day no. i left with a mullet. i called back for him to fix it and it was like i cheated on him or something. DRAMAAAA!! And the name of his Salon, ironically is "It's All About YOU!" i beg to differ!! So, needless to say, I need to call him back and cancel my appointment for April!

Jenny said...

I love your new cut. I think I would have probly said something the first time I was there - I'm way too chicken to go back, but not to leave before it was right - unless I was crunched for time.

However, I have a friend who cuts my hair - comes to my house and (sometimes) charges me $10. It just doesn't get any better than that!

christina said...

shyla--- SOOOO frustrating when the all powerful stylist mindset overtakes the "i want happy customers" mindset. how dare you offend the delicate genius! HA!! i need to see a picture of your mullet. hee hee! :)

jenny--- you lucky duck, you! ;) i had such a dear friend... and then she moved to milwaukee... and there was much sadness in the hairgrove household. what a treat for you!

christina said...

OH! and carol-- i saw you across the auditorium on wed. night and meant to find you after... but when i finally got meg i had to go back in and change her... diaper bomb in a big way. anyway... i forgot to tell you that. :)

suzanne said...

I like the new cut! It's cute. I wouldn't have had the guts to go back, but I'm glad you did!

Kelly Glupker said...

The lady that cuts and colors my hair is SUPER cheap. She gives me a 50% ministry discount. Because of that I probably wouldn't go back because I wouldn't want to take advantage of her time (since I'm pretty sure she's losing money on me). But I WOULD tell her right then and there if I didn't like something (and I have done that). However, if I was paying regular price you better believe I would go back for a fixer upper! Getting your hair cut isn't cheap!

undergroundcrowds said...

my husband would have said the same thing, though I prob. wouldn't have done it, because bad hair is a way of life for me. I finally got a good haircut (mom paid for it) after I looked online to see what looked good on a long face. yeah, wish I had done that a long time ago. It also helps to have a good hairdresser.
kudos to you!

christina said...

kelly-- that's amazing... is this lady from your church or just a really nice person? :)

sara-- have you ever done those online makeovers that you upload a picture of yourself and then change the hair/makeup? i never think it looks like a real person when i'm done, but i get a kick out of it.

Kelly Glupker said...

She does go to my church - sort of. Our church has 8 locations and we go to a different campus than she does. I used to teach at the school she works at. But she does this for anyone who is in ministry or preparing for ministry. So I've referred several friends of mine who have no other connection to her other than through me. She's been a HUGE blessing because without her, I'd be gray.

undergroundcrowds said...

no, I haven't done that....reminds me of that infomercial about all the changes they do to models with computers....have you seen that? crazy stuff

Hairgrove Hangout said...

Love your hair cut!! So glad you did go back, ... I have had some bad hair cuts in my day, but have never gone back! Maybe I should have?! You look beautiful as always! Love ya tons!

The Coons said...

I admit that I would have her fix it right away. I'm with you on the "I don't get my hair cut at a salon that often b/c it's not in the budget" thing! But, I have looked at my hair the next day and realized that one side was a tad longer than the other and trimmed it up myself!! My hubby says I'm crazy, but at that point I don't want to go back in!! Just got mine cut on Saturday, btw, and just about the same as yours but probably 3 inches shorter! I needed something fresh so I could feel like spring might actually come this year!

Jen said...

Love it!