Monday, October 26, 2009

meatloaf.... there's a reason why mom never made it

i made meatloaf for the first time ever in my whole entire life. i had never eaten it before college. but thanks to the good people of the --former-- nbbc kitchen (now niu--sounds cooler, right?), i ate it nearly every monday night for at least two and a half years of my life. it wasn't all that bad.... with ketchup. but i'm no gourmet judge. i was one of those weirdos that actually liked mrs. kimbrough's casserole. for real. i liked it. maybe i was just defending the honor of my dear cheesehead friend, katie. she liked it. probably b/c she loved mrs. k, but nonetheless.... i liked it.

when i was making the meatloaf i kept thinking, "wow, this is super easy. maybe i'll throw this into my regular meal rotation." when i pulled it out of the oven i thought, "wow. i will never make this again." it looked absolutely putrid. then i put it on the kid's plates. megan devoured it. i couldn't believe it. once she started slamming it i left her alone to eat.... this was clearly a mistake since she also had mashed potatoes--which i am currently soaking out of her hair. connor didn't love it--what's new? but he ate it.... with ketchup.

and now i'm just waiting for nathan to get home. it's likely that he will eat it, but it will quickly go on his "don't make this again anytime soon" list.

i'm still up in the air. it wasn't bad.... with a-1 sauce. my tastes have matured. : )

from our trip to the greenfield village halloween night




enjoying some after nap snacks



the penny horse at meijers is a huge hit.

6 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

There are a million different meatloaf recipes, maybe you have a bad one. I don't particularly care for meatloaf but Ben loves it so I do make it. I have a a recipe that supposedly makes meatloaf like Cracker Barrel's if you want it. It's the one I use.
Mrs. Kimbrough's casserole - I can't say I really remember it. What was in it? They made that in the dining hall?

Unknown said...

Meatloaf isn't big in our house either. Probably because I'm not good at making it and it usually turns out too bland. Is Connor big on the looks of food? Chloe sure is and it's getting to be annoying! She still eats whatever we make her eat but the faces she makes are priceless.

PENNY horse?!? Awesome! I bet there's a line for that thing every time you go in Meijer's.

Hairgrove Hangout said...

Meatloaf!!!! I haven't made it in "forevverrr" Hope those smashed taters came out of her hair!

christina said...

kelly- mrs. k's casserole was the brefix dish with eggs, mushrooms.... that's all i remember from it. if it wasn't runny it was ok. it REEKED though. and you always left smelling like it, even if you didn't have it that morning.
i'd love to try out that cracker barrel recipe if you don't mind emailing it to me... or fb message. i read that buffalo meatloaf is good, and i just so happen to have a pound in my freezer. now i know what i'll use it for.

alicia- connor is HUGE on texture. but if i can draw a face on something or equate it to a favorite cartoon, he seems to get more excited about it. and believe it or not, i rarely see other kids riding the penny horse. only twice have we waited behind another rider. i mean, come on people! spring for the cheap thrill. if you have to drag them through the store at least they have something to look forward to.... occasionally, it's a prize for good behavior. but let's just be honest, the prize for good behavior is no discipline. :)

momma jo-g-- seriously, i am amazed at that child and her propensity to put food in her hair. i thought connor was bad.... sheesh!

Katie said...

Before I got to my honorable mention, I was like, Hey, I LIKED Mrs. K's casserole! :) Funny, 'cuz I don't like mushrooms. Everyone made fun of me for liking it. I don't remember you liked it; you must've been a little more subtle about it than me.

Meatloaf goes over great with my boys. I use a lot of BBQ & ketchup and a little worchestershire in it to keep it moist and flavorful. My m-i-l only makes it with bread crumbs soaked in milk. Never tried that though.

Something that the kids love on date night is when I make meat loaf in muffin tins, make a little indent in the top, put a dab of BBQ sauce then sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese. It's fun to have your own little meatloaf hockey puck. :)

Give meatloaf another try! : )

christina said...

kt--yes, i hid my love of the casserole for fear of "the boys" mocking me. haha!
i think connor would love a meatloaf hockey puck. when you name food--especially with sports or spongebob-- he tends to change his opinion on it rather quickly. :)