Friday, September 22, 2006

the fab four

we went out again today with nic and ava. and as usual there were plenty of exciting happenings. we had to go to the mall and meijers to pick up just a few things each, then we thought we would get olga's for lunch--one of our all time faves.

we actually went to southland, which i haven't been to in FOR E VER. it has changed a lot actually, but one thing that hasn't changed... hudson's. it's been called tons of things: dayton's, hudson's, marshall fields, macy's.....but i still call it hudson's. so i head in to the men's section to grab some pants for nathan. he has to have black pants for the tour......why they couldn't have chosen khaki still baffles me--he has TONS of khaki's. but, whatever.....that only took a minute b/c i asked someone to point me in the right direction. i was not about to spend my whole time in the men's dept. snore! nathan does a great job picking out clothes for himself so i don't need to......he picks great clothes for me too! bargain shopper.

then i went to meet nic and av at claire's. strollers were not meant for claire's. as i was barely squeezing through (think thin! think thin!), connor kept reaching up and grabbing things. since i didn't want to inadvertently steal something or allow connor to find his feminine side, i turned to tell nic i was leaving......then i saw ava had a charming little toy halfway in her mouth. so i kept the kids outside so nic could shop.

we stopped at the fountain to let the kids throw in pennies. ava grabbed her pennies with her chubby little fingers and tossed it in. connor grabbed his penny and popped it in his mouth. that was the end of that.

then we hit meijers. we thought since we had both kids we would put aside our cheap scottish nature and split the cost of the tv cart. it was harder than i thought to give up those quarters. so we got them all settled and plopped in our money......hmm....that's curious.....the tv wasn't working. but no biggie. the kids will love it and nic said she was going to try and get our money back when we checked out....something i would not have had the guts to do, which is yet another reason why we won't be using those. and the final reason is b/c they are filthy. nicole wiped ours down before we put the kids in it b/c it was gross.

we saw (as usual) some friends from church. anisha was there with alice--who is actually just in the states for furlough. then it was time to get in line.......

UGH!

that's the only way i can describe our line experience. usually i try and find a young checker, a competent looking middle aged checker, or a spunky old checker. this system hasn't failed me yet. and nic said she does the same. honestly, most of the time i look for nate b. he goes to our church and he's a wicked fast checker. it's nice to chat with him when you're in line too, he's always friendly, and he has an excellent bagging system that i never have to fix at the car. well, today we weren't paying attention. we must have found the human equivalent of a snail. and the two people ahead of us were direct decendants. this normally would have been no big deal, but both kids were hungry by now and they were DONE with the tv cart. ava got out to walk around and i got connor out and held him. so there we are. mashed in this line with two carts and two half-cranky kids. my arm is about to fall off b/c of chunko and nicole was beating her head with the order separator. just then, i heard it. neil diamond came loud and clear over the speaker system, so i said to nic, "everybody!" and we started singing...."sweet caroline! bom bom bom....good times never seemed so good!" after that people started staring at us, so we stopped singing, but we still did all the "bom bom bom" just for kicks. yes, we are idiots.

nic got our $1.00 back--told ya we were cheap....hey, come to think of it...i never got my 50 cents! then we were off to olga's. i tried something new today, the asian veggie olga. delightful. i tried it w/o the olgasauce. i think the sauce would do funny things to the soy sauce on the veggies.

so tonight the boys are going up to the cabin with my parents. nathan said it was his version of florida. except we went for a week and ate seafood. they're going for one night and probably eating hot dogs. nice try, babe! :) they're gonna check out some hunting spots, so nic and i are probably going to get a movie and hang out at her house.

5 comments:

Katie said...

You totally have me beat with your stories upon stories. I must have a boring life.

I can totally relate to your "in line" experience. It stinks when you've got kids and that happens! And I must say, you are CHEAP! I think I would shell out a dollar every time I brought Luke. It's worth it, with this one (though I'll have to remember to bring sanitary wipes).

Sounds like you'll have a fun night. Chris called me to tell me he's sick, so I'm really in for it tonight - taking care of two babies. :) LOL You know how men are when they're sick. Fortunately, I love him, and we've got a bunch of movies and DVDs of "The Office" to keep him happy while he's feeling under the weather.

My Middle Age Moments said...

Ok now I am ALL over this post. First of all Meijers...ahhhh how I miss that place. Secondly, the asian thingy at olgas...soy sauce is now a STAPLE in my house so we must now bask in it. :)

As far as cheap goes..my mother taught me to fight for that dollar and then hey you can apply it to that olga meal. YOU GO NIC!

Reading your post made me miss meijers. Next time, stand back and be glad. You can read all the packages, understand the words and bellow the words to the song playing over the loud speaker. Right now I am hearing asian rock/love songs at our store and people yelling every 10 seconds to the top of their lungs "thank you for shopping, come in" but they say it in the mother tongue of course, not English. It is piercing, let me tell ya. i can't figure out why everyone is yelling that all the time but it drives me insane.

I do want to also add that I LOVE your life, it makes me realize I am not the only one that has an episode a day. But hey, we have interesting lives now don't we? :)

Jenny said...

I am laughing. Thanks for making my day. I'd have sung with you for neil diamond...

christina said...

katie-
you don't have a boring life. you just have to find crazy minutia and exaggerate it like i do. :)

carol-
ok, quit making me feel bad! :) i really am grateful for what we have here, but you know life would be boring if i didn't find all the crazy things. you should try and learn one song and just belt it out one day....or everytime they say "come in" you should yell back "thank you i think i will!!"

momma hair-
yeah, i remember trying to get shampoo at walgreens! it took SO long and we were starving as it was. that's something to get used to...that laid back country/southern life. i guess it's ok for dad hair to use his southern accent now....one of the perks :)

jenny-
oh, yeah, neil is classic grocery store. :)

My Middle Age Moments said...

AWWW I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I am just jealous thats all. I love that you think like me...make this crazy life of mine fun at least. If it had been there I would have been singing with ya. Now I have to go learn how to say something smart alecky to the people at the store in chinese. I will update you on my progress