Friday, May 12, 2006

classic tv funnies

my good old friend kt bruno just posted about her fav tv shows of the week. i was going to leave a comment and then i just got so carried away writing it and i was so tickled (probably b/c it's late) that i decided to blab about some of my fav sitcom moments. i'm starting to agree with my uncle paul (scary!!) that we relate so many things we experience through tv and movie lines. i mean, who DOESN'T quote classic movie/tv lines?
king of queens is our 'wind down' tv show. it's on at 10 pm and we typically watch it nightly as we fall asleep. hilarious is the only way to describe it. both sides of our family watch it and we quote it frequently. here are some classics:

arthur lines (played by jerry stiller...funniest old man in america) i wish i had clips of these b/c the way he says it is the funniest part.
  • douglas, what's troubling you son? you've never looked heavier.
  • let's begin our family meeting. would you all please rise for the pledge of allegience? you may omit the words 'under God' if you so choose.....now about the items you requested, sorry kids, no can do!"
  • darling, i'll need some bronzing cream, an overnight bag and a major credit card. (carrie asks, "what for?") THAT'S MY OWN PERSONAL BUSINESS!!
doug lines (played by kevin james)
  • (when doug's union was on strike) i just want to get back to work, put on my shorts and feel like a man again.
  • how 'bout a one way ticket to shutty town?
gotta say though, we always laugh when jo-g does his kramer impressions...classic!

so let me know you all time fav tv or movie funnies. i'm always up for a good laugh.

3 comments:

Katie said...

This comment's going to be a beast. I'm too tired to write my own post, plus I already wrote one about tv, and I don't want people to think ALL I do is watch the boob tube. (Is that how you spell "boob" in this instance?)

You have me L-ingOL here at midnight as I sit with my dear son who is working in a pesky eye tooth. I LOVE Aurther! We always imitate his mannerism of clasping his hands in front of his belly, usually as he says, "Hello, Darling." Know what I'm talking about? I can't believe the shenanigans that guy does: fake piano lessons, pretending to own the house while Doug & Carrie are gone . . . Did you see the one where he had a X-mas card pic taken with Spence? Or the one where he's addicted to nasal spray? Ha!

Doug cracks me up, especially when he throws a "shutty!" out there. One of my fav scenes with him is from the pole dancing episode. Did ya see it? When he finally showed Carrie how to dance at the end of the episode, I couldn't stop laughing. It SO reminded me of Hitch.

Everybody Loves Raymond was a love of mine before KofQ; I think the two sitcoms run along the same vein. I love Raymond and Robert; sometimes he's such an idiot. Sadly, my father-in-law wants to be just like Frank. Yikes. I can never think of lines, except of course, Frank saying, "Holy Crap!" Let's just hope the Bruno's don't turn into the Barone's this year after we move to MI!

Mike and Nicole said...

"Arthur, I thought I told you not to put the peanut butter in the fridge"
"Yes son, what seems to be the trouble"
"If you put the peanut butter in the fridge it gets hard and tares the bread, and i want a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich"
"Well then toast the bread"
"I don't want toasted bread"
"Well then let the peanut butter sit out for 30 minutes"
"I don't want to let it sit, I want an untoasted peanut butter and jelly sandwhich and I want it noOOoow!!"
"Well, douglas, that may not be possible, as is, i have given you a number of very attractive alternatives"
(turns head quickly and exits stage left)

Karen said...

Oh Christina, we love, love, LOVE King of Queens! I love how Arthur just flies of the handle and screams things! Have you seen the one where he spills soup in Doug & Carrie's bed? Man o man. This is one of the only shows that I don't even mind watching reruns for.