Monday, February 13, 2006

the museum

nicole and i took ava and connor to the henry ford museum today. i couldn't tell you how many times i've been there soaking up culture--thanks papa and gramma--, but this was connor's first time so it was really fun--and i'm sure he'll have no memory of it whatsoever. nic and i had a blast though. it was like childhood memories came flooding back by the hundred's. we had been there so many times before but it seems to take on a new feel going through as an "adult". (if you can call us that, the way we were cracking up through that whole place.) we saw kennedy's assassination car, the wright brother's plane (a replica we thought), the 1940's diner car, the 1938 living room with a radio that played the "war of the worlds", the ww2 classroom that had the recorded voice of a teacher telling her students that they should crawl under their desks to avoid being nuked!! (that kills me), the trains, the planes, the inventions.......*dramatic hush* (begin humming battle hymn of the republic here) and there....at the end of the civil rights exhibit...the moment we had been waiting for...the most vivid memory i have of that place...there was the chair president lincoln was sitting in the night he was shot!! such nostalgia. lucky for me connor was actually awake so we got a few pictures by it. ahhhhh, the memories. i hope connor gets to enjoy the same kind of childhood i did. it was great!

3 comments:

Katie said...

It looks like you had a fun day. Connor looked really excited to be so close to that chair. :) I'm looking forward to taking Luke there next year. Do you have a membership to the zoo? Is it worth it there? I don't think I've ever been to the Detroit Zoo.

I think I know the picture book you're taking about. What a great idea; and what a thoughtful husband you have! The picture of Connor sitting up is so cute; he's looking so big.

And, I like the new look at ace's place! Do that many of use really have the dots pattern?

Shyla said...

I LOOOOOOOOOOVE the Henry Ford Museum!! And I must say it was a BRILLIANT idea to quiet my spirit before I began humming The Battle Hymn of the Rep. BRILLIANT! I feel as if I was able to capture the very essence of what you experienced that day! LOL

I actually changed my template this last weekend...but being such the creature of habit that I am...I changed it back after a day...I mean, what if no one recognized it was me and never stopped in again???

Hormones! :)
Have a great day!
Shy and Bun

christina said...

katie,
i think the last time i went to the detroit zoo i was i kindergarten!! i've heard they're improving but toledo is still way better. my aunt tina has some kind of pass that gets her into toledo and also some cool spots in florida. if i were a zoo-going momma (soon enough), i would definitely look into that pass, i'm just not sure of all the details.
i think there were honestly four or five blogs that had dots. and even though it's my fav and it matches connor's room, i just wanted to shake things up.

and shy,
thank you for capturing the spirit of what will now be known as "the lincoln moment" with us. it thrills my soul to know that someone out there was humming along with me! :-)
keep that bun warm would ya? i loved your post about the movin' and shakin' during church...is this baby pentacostal? my favorite thing was to watch connor move. it fascinated me. i really loved being pregnant though. i had such a smooth time....ptl.

have a lovely blogging day gals!

christina